This year providing value to New World customers was a big focus.
We made it easier for customers to afford everyday items in their weekly shop by rolling back prices in May 2022, saving customers over $6 million. We also launched Everyday Low Prices on the products that matter most to our customers, and helped customers maximise the value they get by using Clubcard to save with Club Deals, earn New World Dollars, Flybuys or Airpoints, and have access to exclusive prize draws and promotions.
New World saw a significant number of great opportunities for new Owner Operators with 18 change of operators over FY23. This volume of change demonstrates the opportunities available to our people within the co-op. Also, three of our Members retired, and we thank and acknowledge their contribution to New World and our co-op.
Five ways we were here for customers in FY23
- We launched Everyday Low Price, where prices are lower for longer on around 1700 everyday items that matter most to many households across Aotearoa.
- We made significant progress on rolling out our programme of category reviews. These reviews ensure we’re stocking the products our customers want to buy when they shop with us.
- We opened four new stores: New World Newmarket and New World Mangawhai are brand new stores built to service two more communities, while New World Wairoa and New World Taumarunui were new builds to replace existing stores that needed more than a facelift. We also refurbished three of our oldest stores in the network: New World Newtown, New World Green Bay and New World Foxton.
- We came together and responded quickly to the natural disasters that hit our communities. This was particularly impactful in Auckland and Hawke’s Bay where our stores stepped up for their communities at a time when they were relied on more than ever. On top of our pledges to be Here for New Zealand, our New World stores provided heavily subsidised essentials to the customers of Hawke’s Bay for several weeks and provided over 900 of our Hawke’s Bay team members with $100 New World gift cards.
- It was another strong year for our marketing reward and loyalty campaigns with the return of both Little Garden and Spiegelau Glassware. Our customers loved the campaigns with customer sentiment scoring very highly. This re-emphasised that not only are we a full-service supermarket, but we also do great promotions, and provide a strong customer experience.